Following the Horns of the Reach DLC update, a lot of things are changing in ESO. Weapon traits, mundus stones and more, resulting in new opportunities and build possibilities. This build will focus on damage and sustain, and it already does a great job even though the update is yet to land.
Weapons & Armor SelectionOpen
Alternatively, if you’re a newer player I’d suggest anything that adds resistances (such as pirate skeleton or mighty chudan), or magicka recovery (shadowrend).
The first set that this build employs is the Shacklebreaker set.
This is one of the best crafted sets in Elder Scrolls Online, it’s easy to get, you can fully customize its traits and style, as well as armor and weapons in general.
It gives a lot of maximum magicka & stamina, both mag & stam recoveries, and on top – also spell damage.
I am using this set on the following pieces:
- Chest (infused, heavy).
- Legs (infused, medium).
- Shoulders (impenetrable, light).
- Feet (impenetrable, light).
- Destruction Fire Staff (nirnhoned, increase weapon & spell damage glyph).
- Restoration Staff (defending, deal magic damage & absorb magicka glyph).
The second set that I am employing in this setup is the Bloodthorn’s Touch set.
Bloodthorn is an awesome magicka build set that will provide you with all crucial bonuses such as magicka recovery, maximum magicka and spell damage. The last effect will give you more sustain, both magicka & stamina, on a 5 second cooldown.
It’s a great alternative to amberplasm, especially since amberplasm requires a lot more farming and is getting nerfed on the next update. Bloodthorn isn’t.
This is a PVE overland set that drops in Glenumbra, which means that you can get your hands on it easily, and even buy it in the guild stores, like I did.
I am using this set on the following pieces:
- Waist (impenetrable, light).
- Hands (impenetrable, light).
- Necklace (arcane, spell damage glyph).
- 2 Rings (arcane, spell damage glyphs).
All gear should have maximum magicka enchantments and you will be hitting 6% undaunted stats with this setup.
Skills & LoadoutOpen
- Elemental Drain, morph of Weakness to Elements from the Destruction Staff skill tree.
- Degeneration, morph of Entropy from the Mages Guild skill tree.
- Crystal Fragments, morph of Crystal Shard from the Dark Magic skill tree.
- Haunting Curse, morph of Daedric Curse from the Daedric Summoning skill tree.
- Force Pulse, morph of Force Shock from the Destruction Staff skill tree.
- Shooting Star ultimate, morph of Meteor from the Mages Guild skill tree.
Shooting Star is an awesome pvp ultimate, especially if you land it on multiple targets at once.
It will regenerate 12 ultimate per initial hit and allow you to charge not only itself faster, but your defensive ultimate as well.
On top, it also gives us 2% more magicka and magicka recovery via the magicka controller passive.
And it’s flame damage, so it can really hurt vampires. The AOE after-effect is pretty strong too.
Elemental Drain bumps up our overall damage since it reduces enemy spell resistance, it’s free to cast and lasts for a long time.
It also provides us with 300 magicka on a second cooldown when damaging opponents (and it helps our allies too).
This in turn complements our sustain and increases our damage, perfect combo.
Degeneration does a bit of damage over time, with a chance to heal yourself on light and heavy attacks for the damage done (and then some), but it also gives us additional 2% maximum magicka and recovery via the magicka controller passive.
It provides us with the major sorcery buff that increases our spell damage by 20%. Very important and useful in pvp.
Crystal Fragments is our main dps skill, use it when the effect is ready and can be instantly cast. Players will dodge it often, but when it lands, it will really hurt them.
Haunting Curse provides additional damage, it cannot be blocked or dodged, and it also pulls players out of stealth or cloak. Very important skill.
Force Pulse is a great filler dps skill that can often inflict different status effects. It also deals decent damage and doesn’t cost too much, very important for a destruction staff build.
My Restoration Staff bar has the following skills:
- Hardened Ward, morph of Conjured Ward from the Daedric Summoning skill tree.
- Streak, morph of Bolt Escape from the Storm Calling skill tree.
- Boundless Storm, morph of Lightning Form from the Storm Calling skill tree.
- Harness Magicka, morph of Annulment from the Light Armor skill tree.
- Healing Ward, morph of Steadfast Ward from the Restoration Staff skill tree.
- Light’s Champion ultimate, morph of Panacea from the Restoration Staff skill tree.
Light’s Champion is an awesome healing ultimate that will pretty much almost make you indestructible for its duration.
It gives a critical damage boost, as well as major protection, making you take 30% less damage (which applies to your shields too) for 10 seconds in total.
Hardened Ward is our main defensive shield, with almost 40.000 maximum magicka on our off-bar, it has a very decent tooltip.
Streak is the mobility skill, a must-have for a sorcerer in pvp. It does a bit of damage, stuns for a short duration and can also disintegrate low health targets.
Boundless Storm provides additional resistances and mobility, it deals a bit of damage over time and is generally a great complementary skill with streak, to increase overall mobility on the battlefield.
Harness Magicka is a secondary shield that should only be used when you’re fighting other magicka opponents, or you’d like to stock up on shield strength if you’re expecting some hard hits coming your way soon.
Healing Ward is our main healing skill that also shields us, it’s important to let it expire in order to get the full heal. Protect it with other shields.
Consumables & MundusOpen
The Atronach mundus stone is used to complement our magicka sustain, in Horns of the Reach this will be bumped up as well.
Classic tri-stat potions are used to increase all 3 stat recoveries, as well as provide an infusion of stats when needed.
Race & PassivesOpen
There is no need to be a vampire, although you are certainly welcome to be one if you prefer so.
- Siphoner: 36 points.
- Warlord: 51 points.
- Arcanist: 43 points.
- Mooncalf: 43 points.
- Tumbling: 37 points.
- Elemental Expert: 75 points.
- Shattering Blows: 51 points.
- Staff Expert: 12 points.
- Master-at-Arms: 72 points.
- Ironclad: 72 points.
- Hardy: 19 points.
- Elemental Defender: 19 points.
- Thick Skinned: 28 points.
- Bastion: 72 points.
This build was created for the Morrowind & Horns of the Reach update. In the future it might require an update, but until then – check out the builds section for all other builds that I’ve done so far.